2024 NESACS–GDCh Student Exchange Program to Ulm, Germany
March 9 – 17, 2024
Overview: 2024 will mark the 23rd year of a chemistry student exchange program sponsored by the Northeastern Section of the American Chemical Society (NESACS) and the German Chemical Society (Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh)). In 2024 a delegation of undergraduate and graduate students from colleges and universities in the Northeastern Section will present the results of their research in the Spring Symposium of the GDCh Jungchemikerforum (JCF) in Ulm (all presentations are in English.) Delegates will also visit industrial and academic research facilities and engage in a variety of social events with students from across Germany and around the world. Delegates are also expected to present their research at the Northeast Student Chemistry Research Conference (NSCRC) on a weekend in April, 2024. The conference is organized and hosted by the NESACS Younger Chemists Committee. NESACS/GDCh sponsorship covers airfare and ground transportation and accommodations while in Germany. For additional information about the exchange program, please go to www.nesacs.org/gex.html.
Application Process: Applications must be submitted by Friday, November 24, 2023 and will be accepted from undergraduate and graduate students who are currently engaged in original research in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, and related fields at colleges and universities in the Northeastern Local Section, which includes the state of New Hampshire and the counties in Massachusetts east of Worcester.
Applications must contain:
- A completed applicant profile
- A scan of your passport photo page (see travel documents note below)
- Title, authors and abstract (no more than one page, 12 pt font) of the presentations you would make at the JCF Spring Symposium in Ulm and at the NSCRC after your return.
- A brief essay (no more than one page) on the relevance of the exchange program to your professional goals.
- A letter of recommendation from your faculty research adviser in which s/he certifies that you are currently engaged in original research under their supervision, and expressing support for your participation in the trip to Ulm.
- A letter from the chair/head of your department, certifying that s/he approves your absence from your academic responsibilities for the period March 9 – March 17, 2024.
Completed applications must be received by Friday, November 24, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. Submit all materials electronically via our Google Form: https://forms.gle/WhnLFUVkGAFVz2997 . If necessary, you may email the materials to email@example.com.
Notification: After an initial review of all applications, program finalists will be asked to make brief presentations of their research as part of interviews to be conducted by the GEX selection committee on the weekends between November 11 and 19. The results of the selection process will be e-mailed to all applicants by November 22. Written confirmation and more detailed information about travel preparations will be sent to the delegates selected for the trip to Ulm.
Travel Documents: Delegates’ passports must be valid through November 2024. If you hold an F-1 visa, it must be current and valid through your return date to the United States. Documentation of visa status will be required by mid-December if you are selected for the program. Send any questions about these travel document requirements to GEX@nesacs.org.